Common name Broiler
Scientific name Gallus gallus Domesticus
Broilers are a domesticated subspecies of the Red Jungle fowl and a Cornish Cross, classified as Gallus gallus Domesticus. They have been bred for large scale, efficient meat production and although they are the same species, they grow much faster than egg laying hens or traditional dual purpose breeds. They are noted for having very fast growth rates, a high feed conversion ratio, and low levels of activity. Broilers are usually prepared for market when they reach six to eight weeks of age, at which point they will still be baby chickens with regards to starting to lay eggs.
The competitive advantages in broiler production are:
- birds that will achieve a high body weight, with good carcass quality, over the shortest possible period of time using the minimum amount of regular feed,
- birds that possess the correct body conformation, which will feather rapidly and have a minimal mortality rate.
Once they reach maturity, the broiler producer may sell them off as live birds or decide to add value through processing, (best done under strict observations of bio-security and health regulations), to access many opportunities for generating income streams-these being the carcass products, feathers, solid waste (from the slaughtering), chicken manure and liquid effluent from the manure runoff and processing plant. All these, when processed will unlock income streams for the farmer, such as biogas, field manure, among many other by-products.
The iQFarmer Broiler Manual will introduce you to profitable broiler production, covering:
- Housing Design
- Pre-Placement Procedures
- Chick Placement Procedures
- Growth Management
- Ventilation Management
- Water Management
- Nutrition Management
- Catching and Slaughtering Procedures
- Bio-Security and Sanitation
- Bird Health (Diseases and Disorders)
- Record Keeping
- Value Addition
- Good Agricultural Practices (GAP)
- Broiler Economics and Entrepreneurship
You will also find a program on broiler production which we hope will help you to select the most cost-effective solutions and profitable combinations in setting up a profitable agricultural enterprise.
Download Broiler Manual
Download Broiler Program